Exciting things are happening at The Madeline F. Elder Greenhouse as we continue on the path to making the IMA Gardens and Greenhouse a world class destination. The Elder Greenhouse, which is located on our diverse 152-acre campus is announcing a host of new plant purchase opportunities, classes and workshops, as well as exciting plans for additional displays and interpretation. In addition, seasonal plant sales will be held in vehicle-accessible locations on campus throughout the year.
Greenhouse manager, Sue Nord Peiffer, and her staff have been busy developing an extensive line-up of classes and workshops to be held throughout the year. Programs include making art from nature, holiday workshops, plant propagation, and more! The line-up for the remainder of 2015 includes:
- August 6 – Gardening for Pollinators (Bees, Butterflies & Hummingbirds) Talk & Walk
- August 29 – An Herbal Lifestyle – Cooking & Crafts with herbs in daily life with Carolee Snyder
- October 17 – Ornaments from Nature
- November 14 – Mini treehouse workshop inspired by our upcoming Gustave Baumann exhibition
- November 19 – Evergreen Wreath Workshop
- December 12 – Vintage Paper Wreath Ornament workshop
This enhanced array of programs is one part of the new strategy for the Elder Greenhouse, an integral part of the IMA Gardens. Plans are underway to significantly develop the Greenhouse’s plant collections, especially the orchids for which it is so well-known. For example, we will stage an orchid exhibition in February 2016, complemented by related lectures and programming culminating with an opportunity to purchase these intriguing plants.
At key times throughout the year the IMA will continue to offer special plant sales that will feature a wide array of Indiana native plants, herbs, succulents, bonsai, and orchids. Mark your calendar now for these IMA hosted “can’t miss” plant sales, which will be held on vehicle-accessible areas on campus. These special sales include:
- September 19 – Autumn Equinox Native Tree and Bulb Sale (Campus-wide free Community Day)
- December 3 – Holiday Hullabaloo (First Thursday free evening)
- December 17 – Winter Solstice (Campus-wide free Community Day)
- April 23 – 24, 2016 – Perennial Premiere
- June 12, 2016 – A Garden Affair (Horticultural Society event)
- June 18, 2016 – Summer Solstice (Campus-wide free Community Day)
The Elder Greenhouse is in the heart of the IMA Gardens, and is easily accessible for all guests. After entering the gardens through the main Welcome Center, guests can enjoy a short walk or take our eco-friendly tram to the Greenhouse. Daily, the Elder Greenhouse is staffed with extremely knowledgeable horticultural staff and volunteers who are on-hand to share their extensive expertise in plant selection and garden design with all guests.
Filed under: Greenhouse