Abingdon, from the Thames Navigation

 
Series
Britannia Depicta
Engraver
Creation date
Materials
engraving
Dimensions
9 x 11 1/4 in (image) 10 7/16 x 13 1/2 in (sheet)
Credit line
Bequest of Kurt F. Pantzer
Accession number
80.832
Collection
Not Currently On View

The spire of St. Helen's Church and the fancy cupola of the town hall are surprisingly grand landmarks in the small market town of Abingdon downriver from Oxford.

Turner's viewpoint is from the junction of the Thames and the Swift Ditch, a bypass cut across the bend in the river at Abingdon, which served as the main navigational channel until 1790 and which was entered by the first lock built on the upper  Thames in 1635.

Reproduction of these images, including downloading, is prohibited without written authorization from VAGA.

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2820
New York, NY 10118
Tel: 212-736-6666
Fax: 212-736-6767
e-mail: info@vagarights.com
site: http://www.vaga.org/