Apollo and the Muses

 
Artist
Materials
oil on canvas
Dimensions
21-3/4 x 36-3/4 in. (canvas) 30-1/2 x 44-1/2 in. (framed)
Credit line
Courtesy of The Clowes Fund
Accession number
2014.82
Collection
Currently On View
Archduke Leopold Wilhelm [1614-1662], Brussels, then Vienna, by at least 1659; {1} Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister, Vienna, by 1895, and Staatsmuseum, Vienna, by 1923. {2} Possibly Princess of Thurn and Taxis. {3} (E. and A. Silberman Galleries, New York); G.H. A. [George Henry Alexander] Clowes [1877-1958], Indianapolis, by 1940; {4} Clowes Fund Collection, Indianapolis, since 1958; on long-term loan to the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Courtesy of the Clowes Fund, since 1971 (C10049); given to the Indianapolis Museum of Art in 2014.

{1}The painting is included as an unnumbered engraving by Nicolaus van Hoy in David Teniers the Younger’s Theatrum Pictorium, Antwerp, 1660, which documents Hapsburg Archduke Leopold Wilhelm’s most admired Italian paintings. It is also listed in a 1659 inventory as no. 357, see Adolf Berger, “Inventar der Kunstsammlung des Erzherzogs Leopold Wilhelm von Osterreich, nach der Originalhandschrift im Fürstlich Schwarzenberg’schen Centralarchive,” in Jahrbuch der Kunsthistorischen Sammlungen des Allerhöchsten Kaiserhauses, vol. 1, Teil II (1883), p. cvi.
{2}The painting is included in the Führer durch die Gemälde-Galerie, Alte Meister. Vol 1 (Italienische, Spanische und Französische Schulen), Kunsthistorische Sammlungen des Allerhöchsten Kaiserhauses, Vienna 1895, cat. no. 241 as Jacopo Tintoretto. It is subsequently listed in Erich von der Bercken and August L. Mayer, Tintoretto, Munich 1923, vol. 1, p. 247.
{3}This owner is given in A. Ian Fraser, A Catalogue of the Clowes Collection, Indianapolis 1973, p. 34 (“Princess Thurn and Taxis, after 1907”) and is repeated in Rodolfo Pallucchini and Paola Rossi, Tintoretto: Le opera sacre e profane, Milan 1982, vol. 1: cat. no. A46. By contrast Lionello Venturi, in an expertise dated 1 September 1937, writes that the painting remained in the possession of the Austrian state collection until 1933 when it was sold; see IMA Clowes Archive (C10073). Neither of these paths has yet been confirmed.
{4}The painting was first exhibited in the United States in Four Centuries of Venetian Painting, Toledo Museum of Art, March 1940, cat. no. 56 (ill.), as owned by Clowes.
Reproduction of these images, including downloading, is prohibited without written authorization from VAGA.

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2820
New York, NY 10118
Tel: 212-736-6666
Fax: 212-736-6767
e-mail: info@vagarights.com
site: http://www.vaga.org/