Cross at the Entrance to Hereford

 
Artist
Creation date
Materials
pencil with yellow and gray washes on white paper
Mark Descriptions
inscribed in pencil, L.L.: Cross at the Entrance to Hereford
Dimensions
10 5/8 x 8 1/4 in
Credit line
John Herron Fund
Accession number
13.440
Collection
Not Currently On View

The White Cross was erected on the outskirts of Hereford in 1370 to commemorate the end of the Black Death and to mark the point beyond which merchants were prohibited to approach the plague-stricken city.

Employing the simple, standard formula of the 1790s, Turner added gray and yellow washes to his pencil drawing to indicate sunlit and shadowed surfaces.

Reproduction of these images, including downloading, is prohibited without written authorization from VAGA.

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2820
New York, NY 10118
Tel: 212-736-6666
Fax: 212-736-6767
e-mail: info@vagarights.com
site: http://www.vaga.org/