Southwark Fair

 
Artist
Creation date
Materials
etching and engraving
Mark Descriptions
Invented, Painted & Engraved by Wm. Hogarth 1733"
Dimensions
13 3/8 x 17 7/8 in. (image) 17 1/4 x 23 in. (sheet)
Credit line
Gift of William George Sullivan
Accession number
30.994
Collection
Not Currently On View

Bartholomew Fair—held each September in the shadow of the church of St. George the Martyr in Southwark, a southern district of London—began as a general market but became a two-week place of amusement. Hogarth includes temporary stages for various plays and players who actually performed there in the 1720s, along with tightrope walkers, puppeteers, and contortionists. It was also a place of vice, as Hogarth shows, rife with gamblers, pickpockets, seducers, and peep shows. Such activities led local authorities to cancel the fair in 1762.

William George Sullivan; given to the John Herron Art Institute, now the Indianapolis Museum of Art, in 1930.
Reproduction of these images, including downloading, is prohibited without written authorization from VAGA.

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2820
New York, NY 10118
Tel: 212-736-6666
Fax: 212-736-6767
e-mail: info@vagarights.com
site: http://www.vaga.org/