The Vision of St. Francis Xavier

 
Artist
Creation date
Materials
oil on canvas
Dimensions
106 5/16 x 75 5/8 in.
Credit line
The Orville A. and Elma D. Wilkinson Fund
Accession number
72.84
Collection
Currently On View In
William C. Griffith Jr. and Carolyn C. Griffith Gallery - H215

This painting was created in 1656 for the high altar of the Jesuit church of St. Francis Xavier in Amsterdam. Though tolerated, Catholicism was officially banned in Holland and the new church was hidden behind the façade of a typical canal house.

Erasmus Quellinus, a Flemish artist, was in Amsterdam in 1656 for the purpose of decorating two ceilings in the Town Hall. He was thus engaged in one of the most important civic commissions of the day even as he completed the main altarpiece of a clandestine Catholic church.

Reproduction of these images, including downloading, is prohibited without written authorization from VAGA.

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2820
New York, NY 10118
Tel: 212-736-6666
Fax: 212-736-6767
e-mail: info@vagarights.com
site: http://www.vaga.org/