The IMA offers a number of resources that can help you plan, prepare for and follow up to the visit.
Distributed 3 times a year, the Creative Classroom e-newsletter brings information on new school tours, teacher workshops and resources, new collection acquisitions, and upcoming exhibitions and events straight to your email inbox. If you would like to receive Creative Classroom, subscribe here, and be sure to check "Educator Programs Creative Classroom".
Can't make it to the IMA in person? We have a variety of content available to you on the web. There are many ways you can utilize this content in your classroom. Download the guide below get started.
IMA Online Resources
IMA Online Activities
- Bellini: Creating and Recreating
- In the Garden of Antiquities
- Cycles: African Life Through Art
- Sebastiano Mainardi: The Science of Art
The following lesson plans explore the art of different cultures from around the world and within our collections. Use them to prepare your students for a visit to the Museum or as follow-up activities to a Museum visit.
The IMA now offers credit for educators seeking opportunities to earn PGP points towards license renewal. Many of our public programs, professional development workshops, and other events can qualify you to earn PGP points (one point for each hour of "hands-on" time or hour of participation). Please contact the Senior Coordinator of Teacher and School Programs for information regarding which programs and events qualify.
The IMA's Stout Reference Library is a non-circulating research library that supports research needs regarding the interpretation and publication of works of art from the IMA collection, potential acquisitions and upcoming exhibitions, as well as the visual arts in general. The library's growing collection of approximately 100,000 volumes consists of:
- Books, exhibition catalogues, and museum publications
- Magazines, scholarly journals and museum bulletins
- Files on more than 28,000 artists, including more than 3,800 Indiana artists
- Catalogues from auction houses, including Sotheby’s, Christie’s and Phillips
- Calendars, annual reports and other information from art museums worldwide
- Online databases and resources
To search the library's holdings, visit the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library Shared System Database.