Expand your classroom, and make the collections, exhibitions and grounds of the IMA a part of your students' curriculum this year. The IMA offers resources and experiences that can enrich your homeschool program. Explore the variety of opportunities available to Pre-K through 12th grade homeschool educators and students.
Tours can be scheduled using the online tour request form.
Themed tours of the IMA galleries and hands-on art experiences are available to educational groups for grades preschool and up. All tours should be scheduled at least 3 weeks in advance of your visit. Guidelines
- Select a tour topic or hands-on art experience that is grade level appropriate to the majority of students in your group.
- If you schedule a guided tour or hands-on art experience and your group is over 10 students (the minimum number of students required for a guided tour), divide your group up before arrival so that the younger students are together and the older students are together. This allows our docents to tailor the gallery experience to the students' needs and abilities.
- For all hands-on art experiences every child and/or adult wishing to participate in the hands-on activity must pay the per student materials fee. Payment is due upon arrival at the IMA.
Twice a year the IMA hosts featured exhibitions which explore a variety of art from around the world and throughout history. Because these exhibitions provide a rich opportunity for educators and students to build on what they are learning in the classroom, the IMA invites school groups to visit the exhibitions free of charge.
- Special exhibitions are FREE to school groups that schedule at least 3 weeks in advance.
- School groups of any type, wishing to visit the special exhibition without prior registration will be required to pay the admission fee.
- Entry to all special exhibitions is subject to capacity restrictions.
- To schedule a guided tour, a homeschool group must have a minimum of 10 students. Tours can be scheduled using the online tour request form.
- For all tours (guided and self-guided) a minimum of 1 adult chaperone for every 10 students is required.
- For all tours (guided and self-guided) a maximum of 1 adult per 10 students is admitted free of charge to the exhibition. Additional adults must purchase an exhibition ticket upon arrival.
Homeschool groups interested in structuring their own exploration of the IMA can schedule a self-guided tour of the galleries, grounds and/or featured exhibitions. Visits must be scheduled at least 3 weeks in advance.