Gabor Peterdi

January 11, 2013-January 5, 2014
free

Gabor Peterdi, Triumph of the Stones (detail), 1955, etching, soft-ground etching and engraving with stenciled color. Gift of Dr. Steven Conant in honor of Bud Stalnaker, 2002.92 © The Estate of Gabor F. Peterdi

This exhibition of 31 prints from the permanent collection, features the work of master printmaker Gabor Peterdi (1915–2001). In 1934, after beginning his career at Stanley William Hayter’s trendsetting Atelier 17 in Paris, he immigrated to New York at the onset of World War II and settled in the US permanently, teaching first at Brooklyn Museum School of Art and then, until the end of his active life, at Yale. His independent prints are known for his mastery of complex intaglio techniques to create images that lie between abstraction and a surrealist investigation of the inner forces of nature. The Museum’s collection spans most of Peterdi’s career, and while the first prints were collected in the 1960s, most of the rest have been given over the past 20 years by Dr. Steven Conant.

Indianapolis Museum of Art 4000 Michigan Rd., Indianapolis, IN