Internships are offered during fall and spring semesters, as well as in summer. Availability is dependent upon departmental requests. Interns are assigned to the museum departments that best suit their educational backgrounds, experience, and interests. Interns participate in the ongoing work of the department to which they are assigned and are expected to complete a project or some portion of a major project. Specific responsibilities are determined by the educational background and work experience of the intern, as well as the needs of the department.
The IMA Intern Program is open to juniors, seniors, recent graduates, or graduate students who work on projects with their assigned mentor and department staff. Interns work on projects with their assigned mentor and department staff. Typically, more students participate in summer than in the fall and spring terms. Summer interns participate in regularly scheduled programming designed to provide a broader understanding of museum operations and practices.
Please note: Summer interns are required to work a minimum of 25 hours and Wednesdays are required. Hours during the fall and spring terms are negotiable.
IMA Internships are offered in various departments with availability depending on departmental requests. For more information, please read our departmental descriptions.
Fall and Spring semester internships
Because the IMA hosts fewer interns during the fall and spring semesters, the museum can provide interns with unique opportunities to observe and participate in museum meetings and events. Participation is encouraged, but not required.
During the summer, the IMA offers interns regularly scheduled programming designed to provide a broader understanding of museum operations and practices. These programs are consistently scheduled on Wednesdays, generally in the afternoon. IMA Interns are required to attend. Examples of programs include: Director’s discussion, tours of collections storage and conservation labs, panel discussions on current IMA projects and issues in the museum community, special gallery tours.
Internship takes place between: August 22-December 8, 2017
Applications due: June 30, 2017 EXTENDED: July 14, 2017
Notifications sent: July 14 - 21, 2017
Internship takes place between: January 23-May 4, 2018
Applications open: November 9, 2017
Applications close: December 9, 2017
Notifications sent: December 23, 2017
Internship takes place between: May 22-August 3, 2018
Applications open: March 8, 2018
Applications close: April 8, 2018
Notifications sent: April 22, 2018
Application materials must include:
- Completed application form (see below)
- Cover letter
- Recommendation letter (you may submit this with your materials or have your referring contact email us her/his letter directly; an academic letter is preferred, however a professional recommendation will be accepted)
- Writing sample (three to five pages of an academic sample related to the subject area that you are interested in)
- Design internship - If applying for design internships, please submit both an both an academic writing sample and an example of your design work.
- Photography internship - If applying for photography internships, an academic writing sample is not needed but a digital portfolio or website is required.
- Legal Affairs internship - If applying for legal affairs internships, please submit both an academic writing sample and a legal writing sample.
- Unofficial or official transcript (such as transcripts accessed online, screen shots)
Internship application materials should be submitted by email to the Internship Program. Please name your files as: Firstname Lastname Filename (for example, Heidi Davis Resume)
IMA Internship Program Hours
Number of hours per week is dependent upon departmental assignment and student’s academic schedule. During the Summer, a minimum of 25 hours per week. Wednesdays are required for intern programs and events. See Programming section for further details.
The IMA can assist interns in the search for off-campus housing if needed.
View our frequently asked questions or email us at: email@example.com