Frank Lloyd Wright: Art Glass of the Martin House Complex Book
When Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) designed the Darwin D. Martin House complex (1903-1905), he filled the windows, doors and skylights with nearly four hundred pieces of his signature art glass. The spectacular designs are among some of Wright's finest. These "light screens," as Wright called them, were fundamental to his principle of "bringing the outside in" by blurring the line between enclosed and open spaces.
Despite the site-specific nature of Wright's art glass, nearly three-quarters of the pieces at the Martin House complex have been removed--many of them distributed to museums and private collections throughout the world. Today, due to the tremendous reconstruction efforts by the Martin House Restoration Corporation, the art glass designs are being restored to their original home. Only now, in their original context, is it possible to fully appreciate the importance of these "light screens" to Wright's overall composition for the Martin House complex.
Frank Lloyd Wright: Art Glass of the Martin House Complex explores the breadth of Wright's creations for the Martin House. Original drawings, historic photographs, floor plans, and excerpts from Wright's personal correspondence add to this comprehensive survey of the exquisite art glass designs found at Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House complex.
Hardcover, 96 pages, 9" square