IMA Community Day: A Feast for the Eyes
Feast your eyes upon visual delicacies in the Museum’s collection as we celebrate the season of giving thanks. Enjoy activities and tours highlighting works of art depicting food, objects created for serving food, making art that looks like food, and hearing a taste of spicy music. Bring donations of unopened, labeled canned goods and help ‘CANstruct’ a cityscape with food.
Starting November 15, canned good donations can be left in specially marked barrels at the IMA. All food donations will benefit Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana. Items especially needed include: Beef stew, tuna and other canned meats, cans of soup, canned vegetables, canned fruits, macaroni & cheese and other boxed dinners.
On Community Day, also enjoy the following special programs:
- Tours and Docent Stations: Fill your imagination on a savory guided tour through the galleries. Questions about art? Find answers from the docents stationed in the galleries.
- Build a Canned Goods Cityscape: Work with other visitors throughout the day to construct small buildings, houses, and other structures using canned goods.
- Community Cornucopia: Help to fill a cornucopia with “food for thought” using an assortment of art materials.
- Art Search & Find: Pick up an activity guide and wander the galleries in search of art with ties to eating, drinking or serving food.
- Hold It! Family Activity: Treat the fingers to a hands-on experience with learning objects for visitors of all ages.
- Music of the Middle East: Sample the flavorful Arabic musical traditions of the Islamic world presented by L.A.-based Alfred Madain aka DJ Al Fareed. Hear Middle Eastern music old and new and take a spin on the dance floor. See the latest IMA exhibition, Beauty & Belief: Crossing Bridges with the Arts of Islamic Culture. Music made possible by a grant from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.
- See an engineering feat of balance, color and form built by BSA LifeStructures inspired by a work from the IMA’s collection. Special thanks to Canstruction, Inc., BSA LifeStructures and Turner Construction Company, The Kroger Co.; and to Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana for feeding hungry Hoosiers.
- Get discounted tickets to special exhibitions
- Taste the family-friendly menu at Nourish Cafe
ASL interpretation provided for tours, gallery experiences, and the performance.
Additional parking is available at Light of the World Christian Church at 4750 Michigan Road. Free shuttle service will be provided throughout the day.