Directions & Parking
The IMA is located at 4000 Michigan Road in Indianapolis. The main entrance is approximately one block north of the intersection of 38th Street and Michigan Road on the west side of the street. The main entrance is marked by a traffic light. Note that south of 38th Street, Michigan Road becomes Martin Luther King Jr. Street.
Take I-65 south to 38th St (exit 119). Turn left onto 38th Street and go about 2 miles. Turn left at the traffic light at the IMA entrance.
Take I-74 west to I-465 north via exit 94. Merge onto I-70 west at exit 44A. Merge onto I-65 north toward Chicago at exit 83B. Take 29th Street/30th Street (exit 116). Turn left (west) onto 30th Street and go about one-third mile to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street. Turn right (north) and go about 1.1 miles. Turn left at 38th Street. The museum entrance is at the first light on the north side.
Take I-65 north through downtown. Get off at Exit #116 (29th and 30th Streets). Drive across 29th St. to 30th St. (second light). Turn left (west) onto 30th Street which is one way west. Drive a short distance to the first light (Martin Luther King Jr. St). Turn right onto MLK Jr. Dr. and take to 38th St. Turn left at 38th Street. The museum entrance is at the first light on the north side.
Take I-70 west to exit 83B toward I-65 north to Chicago. Follow I-65 north to exit 116. Turn left (west) onto 30th Street and go about one-third mile to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street. Turn right (north) and go about 1.1 miles. Turn left at 38th Street. The museum entrance is at the first light on the north side.
From Ft. Wayne
Take I-69 south to I-465 west. Follow I-465 west to Michigan Road (exit 27). Turn left (south) onto Michigan Road. Turn right at the traffic light onto 38th Street. The museum entrance is at the first light on the north side.
From the Indianapolis International Airport
Take I-465 north to the 38th Street exit. Go east on 38th Street about 5 miles. The museum entrance is on the north side of the street before you arrive at Michigan Road.
IndyGo Local Bus Routes
- From downtown, take Number 38 Lafayette Square
- From Michigan Road, take Number 34 north or south
- IndyGo routes stop outside IMA entrances on 38th Street or Michigan Road.
- Visit IndyGo.net for route schedules and maps.
Indy Greenways Biking & Hiking Directions
Take the Canal Towpath to Waller Bridge. Park your bike at the bike rack and walk up to Upper Campus. Guests must check in upon arrival. Guest Services desks are located in the Efroymson Family Entrance Pavilion, Showalter Pavilion (just inside of Deer Zink Pavilion) and Lilly House.
Bike racks are located in the following areas:
- On the north (Museum) and south (Park) side of Waller Bridge
- In the parking garage, just outside of the entrance to the Catherine and Robert Lictenauer Passageway Gallery
- Next to The Dudley and Mary Louise Sutphin Mall
- Outside of Efroymson Family Entrance Pavilion (38th Street entrance)
- Free parking for all is available in the underground garage or large surface lot closest to the Museum.
- In addition, for visitors to The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres, we offer free parking at the loop off of 38th Street near 100 Acres.
Scheduled School Groups
- The area along the mall has been designated as bus parking for scheduled school groups. If those spaces are filled, security personnel will route you to alternate parking. Accommodations can be made for scheduled groups only.
- Free handicap parking is available in the small lot beside the museum entrance closest to 38th Street.
Out of Town Visitors
- For local hotel, attractions and general information visit www.visitindy.com.
- Indianapolis observes Eastern Standard Daylight Savings Time.