NEW! Be inspired in the Indianapolis Star Family Studio - a free, interactive space, for families to imagine, explore, create, share, and collaborate with art in new ways. Activities in Star Studio are self-guided. Work with a Teaching Artist during scheduled programs. To learn more about programs in the Star Studio classroom, please check the IMA calendar, or stop by Floor 2 during your visit to the Museum.
The IMA encourages people of all ages to discover and learn about art all year round—inside and outdoors! As you explore the Museum, gardens, Lilly House, and The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres, enjoy your time together talking about each experience. You may discover new ways of seeing the world around you.
With so much art to see, there probably won’t be time to do it all in one day. Return as often as you like. Admission is FREE.
Consider letting kids make some of the decisions about their visit. Children may appreciate the experience and remember more of what they see if they participate in leading the discovery.
- Keeping you and the art safe. Talk with each other about not touching works of art in the galleries or in the gardens. Oil and dirt from our hands damages the art.
- Browse a sampling of our collection online with kids to find things that peak their curiosity. Click the art image to ensure that is currently on view.
- Need some space for the kids to run? Bring a frisbee, pack a picnic, and explore the IMA’s 152 acres of gardens and grounds, including The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres.
- Check out family activities that may be available on the day of your visit.
- The Welcome Desk is on Floor 2 of the IMA. Stop there to ask questions, and pick up maps and other resources for your visit.
- Restrooms and drinking fountains are on every floor. Family restrooms with changing tables are located on Floor 1 near the café and Museum Store.
- Strollers and wheelchairs are located at the coat check on Floor 1 and are available free of charge.
- Healthy and child-friendly food and beverages are available in the cafe for purchase. Food and beverages are not allowed to be taken above Floor 1.
- A nursing station is available on Floor 1 of the IMA near the café.
- Have questions? Please feel free to ask any of the IMA’s staff members in the galleries or at the Welcome Desk. We are here to assist you!
- Ask for a Family Guide at the Welcome Desk on Floor 2 for tips and fun suggestions to help structure your visit.
- Hunt for colors, shapes, or farm animals with young children.
- Challenge older kids to a quick look at an object before recalling what they saw.
- Play a game. Pick up an Art Search & Find game at the Welcome Desk.
- Talk about what you see. Explore the galleries on a Family Tour and get an up close look at objects on a Hold It! hands-on cart during the 2nd & 4th Saturday of each month.
- Visit the African Activity Art Space on the Floor 3 in the African Art Galleries for interactive activities for families and adults.
- Be inspired in Star Studio - a free, interactive space, for families to imagine, explore, create, share, and collaborate with art in new ways. Activities in Star Studio are self-guided. Work with a Teaching Artist during scheduled programs. To learn more about programs in the Star Studio classroom, please check the IMA calendar.
- Make something. From April to October, participate in Art in the Park on Sundays, noon–4 pm.
We encourage visitors of all ages to explore the entire museum. Here are a few objects that might work especially well to spark a conversation between adults and children. Please check specific links below to ensure the work of art is currently on view.