The IMA offers a host of programs and experiences for families year round. From gallery games, tours, drop-in art activities, classes and workshops to special events and Art Packs — together, adults and children can build an appreciation for art and nature that can last a lifetime.
Things to do at the IMA
- Ask for a Family Guide at the Welcome Desk on Floor 1 for tips and fun suggestions to help structure your visit.
- Hunt for colors, shapes, or farm animals with young children.
- Challenge older kids to a quick look at an object before recalling what they saw.
- Play a game. Pick up an Art Search & Find game at the Welcome Desk.
- Talk about what you see. Explore the galleries on a Family Tour and get an up close look at objects on a Hold It! hands-on cart on the second and fourth Saturday of each month.
- Visit the African Activity Art Space on Floor 3 in the African Art Galleries for interactive activities for families and adults.
- Be inspired in the Star Studio — a free, interactive space, for families to imagine, explore, create, share, and collaborate with art in new ways. Activities in Star Studio are self-guided. Work with a Teaching Artist during scheduled programs. To learn more about programs in the Star Studio Classroom, please check the IMA calendar.
- Make something. Do a Make & Take in the Star Studio every Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 4 pm. From April to October, participate in Art in the Park on Sundays, noon to 4 pm in the Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres.
NEW! Art Packs
Tuesdays–Saturdays | 11 am - 4 pm
Sundays | noon – 4 pm
Get into shape with IMA Art Packs! Move through the Museum to look for ways artists have used shapes in works of art. Exercise your imagination while drawing, reading a story, or working a puzzle in the galleries. Art Packs are designed for families with children ages 4 and up, but all are welcome to give them a try. Available at the Welcome Desk on Floor 1 or at the Audio Guide desk on Floor 2.
The IMA would like to thank those who supported Art Packs through power2give.org, an initiative of the Arts Council of Indianapolis. A special thanks to Maureen Donahue, Suzanne Jannetta, and Kathleen Ravestein.
Exercise your family’s creativity with art making and other drop-in activities. Activities are available in the Star Family Studio on Floor 2 and in the African Art Activity Space on Floor 3 during regular museum hours.
Classes & Camps
Share art-making experiences as a family in the Family Star Studio, on the grounds, galleries, or in the Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres. Studio classes are offered by age group. Some classes require registration and include a program fee.
Spend an adventurous week painting, sculpting, designing, and much more at the IMA! Spring Break and Summer Camps are available for children ages 4 through 13.
Discover more with your family on an expert-led tour through the IMA’s collection. Family Tours are 30 minutes and for children of all ages. Family Tours are the first Saturday of each month at 11:30 am and 12:15 pm.