The IMA offers a host of programs and experiences for families year round. From gallery games, tours, drop-in art activities, classes and workshops to special events — together, adults and children can build an appreciation for art and nature that can last a lifetime.
Things to do at the IMA
- Need some help choosing what to do? Ask for a Search and Find or a Family Guide from Guest Services desk.
- Hunt for colors, shapes, or farm animals with young children.
- Challenge older kids to a quick look at an object before recalling what they saw.
- Play a game. Pick up an Art Search & Find game at the Welcome Desk.
- Talk about what you see. Explore the galleries on a Family Tour and get an up close look at objects on a Hold It! hands-on cart on the first Saturday of each month during Family Day.
- Visit the African Activity Art Space on Floor 3 in the African Art Galleries for interactive activities for families and adults.
- Be inspired in the Star Studio — a free, interactive space, for families to imagine, explore, create, share, and collaborate with art in new ways. Activities in Star Studio are self-guided. Work with a Teaching Artist on Saturdays and Sundays from 1 - 4 pm. STAR STUDIO IS CLOSED FOR A REINSTALLATION THROUGH FRIDAY, MAY 22.
Art Packs will return to the IMA in Fall 2015. Get into shape with IMA Art Packs! Move through the Museum to look for ways artists have used shapes in works of art. Exercise your imagination while drawing, reading a story, or working a puzzle in the galleries. Art Packs are designed for families with children ages 4 and up, but all are welcome to give them a try.
The IMA would like to thank those who supported Art Packs through power2give.org, an initiative of the Arts Council of Indianapolis. A special thanks to Maureen Donahue, Suzanne Jannetta, and Kathleen Ravestein.
Exercise your family’s creativity with art making and other drop-in activities. Activities are available in the Star Studio on Floor 2 and in the African Art Activity Space on Floor 3 during regular museum hours.
Classes & Camps
Share art-making experiences as a family in the Star Studio, on the grounds, galleries, or in the Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres. Studio classes require registration and include a program fee.
Spend an adventurous week painting, sculpting, designing, and much more at the IMA! Summer Camps are available for children ages 4 through 13.
Discover more with your family on an expert-led tour through the IMA’s collection. Family Tours are 30 minutes and for children of all ages. Family Tours are the first Saturday of each month at 11:30 am and 12:15 pm.