Plan Your Family Visit
We love kids and kids love us! These are our tips and ideas for making sure that your visit is such a great experience that you will want to return again and again.
Before you begin, some quick tips
- The Museum is a big place. Don't feel like you need to see it all in one day. It is worth many visits.
- Let your kids participate in the adventure. Check out our collection online. Discover works of art that are currently on view. Pick a few and hunt for them when you arrive.
- Help us keep our artwork safe. Be sure to talk with each other about not touching works of art in the galleries or in the gardens.
- Check out the Family Activities that may be available on the day of your visit.
- Need some space for the kids to run? Bring a frisbee, pack a picnic, and explore the IMA’s 152 acres of gardens and grounds, including the Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres.
Family Service & Amenities
- The Welcome Desk is on Floor 1 of the IMA. Stop there to ask questions, and pick up maps and other resources for your visit.
- Restrooms and drinking fountains are on every floor. Family restrooms with changing tables are located on Floor 1 near the Café and Museum Store.
- Strollers and wheelchairs are located at the coat check on Floor 1 and are available free of charge.
- Healthy and kid-friendly food and beverages are available in the Café for purchase. Food and beverages are may not be taken above Floor 1.
- A Nursing Mother's Room is available on Floor 1 near the Café.
- Have questions? Please feel free to ask any of the IMA’s staff members in the galleries or at the Welcome Desk. We are here to assist you!