Directions & Parking
The IMA is located at 4000 Michigan Road in Indianapolis. The main entrance is approximately one block north of the intersection of 38th Street and Michigan Road on the west side of the street. The main entrance is marked by a traffic light. Note that south of 38th Street, Michigan Road becomes Martin Luther King Jr. Street.
Take I-65 south to 38th St (exit 119). Turn left onto 38th Street and go about 2 miles. Turn left at the traffic light at the IMA entrance.
Take I-74 west to I-465 north via exit 94. Merge onto I-70 west at exit 44A. Merge onto I-65 north toward Chicago at exit 83B. Take 29th Street/30th Street (exit 116). Turn left (west) onto 30th Street and go about one-third mile to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street. Turn right (north) and go about 1.1 miles. Note: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street becomes Michigan Road north of the 38th Street intersection. Turn left at the traffic light at 4000 Michigan Road into the IMA grounds.
Take I-70 west to exit 83B toward I-65 north to Chicago. Follow I-65 north to exit 116. Turn left (west) onto 30th Street and go about one-third mile to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street. Turn right (north) and go about 1.1 miles. Note: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street becomes Michigan Road north of the 38th Street intersection. Turn left at the traffic light at 4000 Michigan Road into the IMA grounds.
From Ft. Wayne
Take I-69 south to I-465 west. Follow I-465 west to Michigan Road (exit 27). Turn left (south) onto Michigan Road. Turn right at the traffic light at 4000 Michigan Road into the IMA grounds.
From the Indianapolis International Airport
Take I-465 north to the 38th Street exit. Go east on 38th Street about 5 miles to Michigan Road. Turn left onto Michigan Road and left again at the traffic light at 4000 Michigan Road into the IMA grounds.
IndyGo Local Bus Routes
- From downtown, take Number 38 Lafayette Square
- From Michigan Road, take Number 34 north or south
- IndyGo routes stop outside IMA entrances on 38th Street or Michigan Road.
- Visit IndyGo http://www.indygo.net/routes.htm for route schedules and maps.
Indy Greenways Biking & Hiking Directions
Take the Canal Towpath to the Michigan Road bridge. Ride Southeast along Michigan Road to 42nd Street and enter the museum campus at the 42nd Street gate. Bike racks can be found near the main entrance and in the parking garage.
- IMA Members can park for free in any lot. Not a member? Learn about additional member benefits.
- Free parking for all is available on a first come first serve basis at the Greenhouse Shop, the exterior lots, and the loop off of 38th Street near 100 Acres.
- There is a $5 fee for non-members to park in the underground garage or large surface lot closest to the Museum.
- Visitors who purchase more than $50 worth of merchandise at the Museum Store, Gallery Shop or the Greenhouse Shop will receive parking validation. Validation is only available on the day of visit at the shop registers.
- Vehicles leaving and returning to campus cannot be validated.
Scheduled School Groups
- The area along the mall has been designated as bus parking for scheduled school groups. If those spaces are filled, security personnel will route you to alternate parking. Accommodations can be made for scheduled groups only.
- Free handicap parking is available in the small lot beside the museum entrance closest to 38th Street.
Out of Town Visitors
- For local hotel, attractions and general information visit www.visitindy.com<.
- Indianapolis observes Eastern Standard Daylight Savings Time.