Things to Know
We love to see visitors having a great time at the IMA! To help make sure your visit is outstanding, we’ve compiled this list of tips and other helpful information. But if you should have a question or concern about anything, please feel free to talk to one of our knowledgeable Visitor Services staff members.
Our admission policy has changed. Here’s the top 10 things you need to know.
When you arrive:
- Are you carrying a backpack, umbrella, shopping bag, or any bag bigger than 11 x 15 x 6 inches? Please read our bag policy to determine if your bag is allowed. Stow your bags and packages in our lockers on Floor 1.
- Check in at the Welcome Desk on Floor 1 to purchase tickets for special exhibitions, memberships, pick up Museum Maps, and find out about activities and tours for the day.
During your visit
- Please don't touch the art! Even the lightest touch can damage a work of art. Your great-great-grandchildren will thank you.
- We do not allow food or drink in the galleries. We do have drinking fountains on all floors.
- Non-flash photography is permitted for personal, noncommercial use except where noted. Flash photography, videography and the use of tripods are not permitted. You can read more about our Photography Policies here.
- Feel free to text, tweet or listen to audio tours during your visit. For the best service, connect to our free Wi-Fi during your visit. Remember to tag @imamuseum on Twitter and Instagram so we can enjoy your visit along with you. We may even share it!
- As a courtesy to other visitors, we ask that you please set your phone to vibrate and take all calls outside of the galleries.
- We love kids and kids love the IMA! Strollers are available to borrow on Floor 1, as are Family Restrooms and a mother’s nursing room. Please note that we do not allow child harnesses / leashes in the galleries. Visit our Family Visits pages for tips on visiting with children.
- The IMA welcomes all visitors and strives to be accessible to everyone. Visit our Accessibility page for more information.
- Feeling inspired by the art? Feel free to sketch with pencil in notebooks 11 x 14 inches or smaller. Colored pencils and ink pens are not allowed in the galleries, except in designated areas. You can read our Sketching Policy here.
- Have you lost something? Check with our Welcome Desk to see if your item may have been turned in or call 317-923-1331 ext. 175.
- Wi-Fi is free throughout the Museum.
- Coat check is available free of charge on Floor 1.
- A public phone (local calls only) is available free of charge on Floor 1.
- Lockers (refundable cost of 25 cents) are located on Floor 1.
- Drinking fountains are on all gallery levels, on Floor 1 and at both entrances to Deer Zink Special Events Pavilion.
- The first aid room is located on Floor 1 (inquire with a security officer or front desk staff member for access).
- Bicycle racks are in the underground and surface parking lots.
- Stroller(s) are available free of charge at coat check on Floor 1.
- Wheelchairs and Rollators are available free of charge at coat check on Floor 1.
- Family restrooms are located on Floor 1.
- A nursing mother’s room is located on Floor 1 near the cafe. The room is unlocked during Museum hours and can be accessed at will.
- Photography must be conducted without disruption to Museum operations or limitation to the accessibility of exhibitions, entrances/exits, doorways, and high traffic areas.
- To help us preserve the outdoor sculptures, entering, climbing, or standing on any water features or fountains is prohibited; do not climb, lean or sit on any artworks. Do not place props or equipment on the sculptures.
- Flash photography, tripods, monopods (including selfie sticks), and other photographic equipment are not permitted in the galleries, Lilly House or Miller House.
- Photography is permitted for private, noncommercial use only. Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner.
- Unless otherwise noted, photography of temporary exhibition or borrowed works of art is not permitted.
Sketching in the galleries
- Visitors are welcome to sketch in the IMA galleries using a pencil. Paper or sketchbooks should not exceed 11 x 14 inches.
- We ask that individuals be considerate of the flow of visitor traffic through the galleries while sketching. Please note that the Sketching Policy may be adjusted as necessary, such as during periods of high attendance in the galleries, or with regard to special exhibition policies. Individuals may be subject to further direction from IMA Security staff.
- If you are interested in copying artworks or sketching in other media, please contact the Audience Engagement Department at 317-923-1331 ext. 206. If you are interested in bringing a class or group to copy or sketch in the galleries, please contact the Audience Engagement Department at 317-923-1331 ext. 218.
- Bags larger than 11²x15²x6² are not permitted in the galleries. Large bags must be checked in coat check or stored in a locker.