Adult Group Tours
An Adult Group Tour at the Indianapolis Museum of Art provides visitors with unique, personalized opportunities to access the Museum and the collection in a way not otherwise available to the average guest. Special tours highlighting exhibitions, the Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park: 100 Acres, and Oldfields—Lilly House & Gardens are available for school, professional, and social groups.
Adult Group Tours can be arranged for groups with 15 - 50 members at a rate of $14 per person for self-guided tours and $18 per person for docent-led tours. Groups interested in touring before regular Museum hours can schedule an Early Access tour with an $100 per Group deposit required on booking. Our Early Access tour is not available on our Sunday-Member Morning.
All group tours should be scheduled at least three weeks in advance using the online tour request form available at the bottom of this page. If a group tour is not pre-scheduled, then members will pay the full general admission price.
**No refunds will be given on deposits made for Early Access, Docent-Led, and Specialty Tours.
Group leaders must arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled tour (self-guided or docent led). If a group is late for a tour and didn’t give us a courtesy call, the docent has the right to refuse the tour or the tour is subject to being shortened significantly..
To book a tour for students (K-12, colleges/universities), please visit the Schools & Universities Tours page.
Guided Adult Group Tours
Trained educators lead the tours and engage participants and stimulate discussion. Each tour lasts approximately one hour and can be tailored to meet a variety of interests. For a detailed description of all expert-led group tours, download the PDF below.
Self-Guided Adult Group Tours
Visitors interested in structuring their own exploration of the IMA can schedule a self-guided tour of the galleries, grounds and/or special exhibitions.
Tours for Blind/Partially-Sighted Visitors and those with limited mobility
We offer guided audio descriptions and touchable tours for blind or partially sighted visitors, as well as garden tours for people with limited mobility.
- Gallery tours are available year round.
- Lilly House tours are available April through December.
- Tours of the gardens and the Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park:100 Acres are available April through October, weather permitting.
- Tours for blind/low visions visitors are available all year round.
- All tours are available during regular IMA hours. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, there is an Early Access Tour option for groups to start their tour at 10 am.
- The gardens are open during the same hours as the Museum. Guided group tours of the gardens can be arranged at any time during these hours. If you would like to tour the gardens before or after hours please contact 317-920-2679.
- Reservations must be made at least three weeks in advance.
- Due to the expected high volume of attendance at some of our special exhibits, groups may not get their first choice for touring dates/times. Please include a second option when you request a tour date/time.
- Groups can choose to take self-guided tours during operational hours.
- Comfortable shoes are advised for garden tours. Some areas of the grounds have steps.
- The IMA is handicapped accessible; Lilly House is handicapped accessible, with an elevator available. Visit our Accessibility page for more information.
- Groups with limited mobility will be accommodated.
- Non-flash photography is permitted—we encourage you to snap photos of your visit and share them on social media!
- Are you carrying a backpack, umbrella, shopping bag, or any bag bigger than 11 x 15 x 6 inches?If so, we ask that you store them in a locker during your stay in order to avoid accidentally damaging items in our exhibits. We even supply the quarters. Pick one up and return it to the Guest Services. Lockers are located behind the Guest Services Desk on Floor 1.
- After a long bus ride you are probably looking for the restrooms and a drink. Restrooms and the Café are located to the right of the Guest Services Desk on Floor 1.
- The galleries start on Floor 2. Go up the escalator or elevator next to the coat check to Floor 2, then head through the glass double doors and you are in!
- Please don't touch the art; even the lightest touch can damage a work of art. Your great-great-grandchildren will thank you. Keep in mind that we have some piece you can interact with and some hands-on activities as well.
- Good rule to follow; keep a distance of 1 foot or an arm’s length from the artwork. Even a sneeze can damage the artwork!
- We do not allow food or drink in the galleries, but we do have drinking fountains on all floors and a fabulous Café to grab a bite to eat on Floor 1.
- Feel free to text, tweet or listen to audio tours during your visit. For the best service, connect to our free Wi-Fi during your visit. Remember to tag @imamuseum on Twitter and Instagram so we can enjoy your visit along with you. We may even share it!
- Visit our Directions & Parking page for, well, directions and parking.
- The IMA Café is ideal for a quick bite or a leisurely meal. Visit the IMA Café page for information.